Tuesday 15 March 2011

Data Mining Game



It's official.

I'm no longer an ABC1.


According to the Office of National Statistics, my shopping basket is no longer representative of the average consumer.

I should've seen this coming when I started growing my own veg, and I opted for a payg phone, with incoming calls only.


As an ex-vegetarian, I was surprised to see pork shoulder joints removed from the list.

My local Tesco devotes at least 30sq feet to freshly slaughtered pig, but only a tenth of that space to 'veggie-hippy-stuff'. Cigarettes have also been taken out of the average representative shop, despite my local Tesco devoting twice as much space to these (per unit) as for dead porkers.

I can only assume the normal UK shopper is eating too much chicken, and has been forced to give up the weed by do-gooding campaigners & politicians who don't like Ken Clarke?


With sparkling wine now included, along with dating agency fees & apps(?), the average British consumer could be seen as a Bridget Jones type, desperate for the right fella, and in denial of her social-alcoholism, capable only of cooking oven-ready meals.


The problem here, is the removal of the fleece.


Why was the fleece in the shopping basket in the first place?

Did a shameful piece of mass-produced clothing, suitable only for festival camp fires, and slouching about with a pyjama'd partner, really represent the typical UK shopper over the past few years?

Is it any wonder dating agency fees are on the increase?

No comments:

Post a Comment